Police officer jailed for 20 months for stealing £9,000 from Herts HQ

PUBLISHED: 13:18 28 August 2019 | UPDATED: 09:19 29 August 2019

Cambridge Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

Cambridge Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT


A Bedfordshire Police officer who was based in Welwyn Garden City has been jailed for 20 months after stealing more than £9,000 from a force exhibits store.

Det Sgt David Sharpe - who was based within the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit at Hertfordshire Constabulary HQ in WGC - was handed the sentence at Cambridge Crown Court today.

He had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of theft by employee.

On March 18 this year it was discovered that a sum of money amounting to £9,080, was missing from exhibits storage in the Major Crime Unit.

He was voluntarily interviewed later that day by the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire professional standards department and said that he had made a snap decision to take the money, and that he was planning to pay it back before anyone had noticed it was missing.

The 40-year-old was suspended from his post while an investigation was launched. As well as his sentence, he also received a confiscation order to pay back £8,961.09 of the stolen money.

Deputy Chief Constable Jackie Sebire said: "As a police officer, DS Sharpe was entrusted to complete his job with the upmost professionalism and integrity. His actions go against everything policing stands for.

"Although he eventually admitted to taking the money, there were a few days in which he kept quiet, which put his colleagues under unfair suspicion.

"We work hard to maintain trust and confidence among our communities and when that trust is broken by one individual, it makes all of our jobs a lot more difficult.

"I am deeply disappointed in him and his actions. This sentence should send a clear message as to how seriously we take these matters."

DS Sharpe remains suspended from duty and misconduct proceedings will continue.

Latest Articles

Most Read